Bringing legalized cannabis products to the mass market has involved numerous scientific breakthroughs. Instead of the minimal processing of the plant, growers are now creating oils for vaping, capsules, edible gummies, and more.
Cannabis cultivators are using cutting-edge technology to reduce water and energy use, cut down on labor costs, and increase yields and quality. Driving the process with data-driven technology allows growers to make a variety of decisions, sometimes from anywhere with an internet connection.
Examples of technology used:
- Internet of Things: sensors to help control irrigation and fine-tune lighting.
- Systems that can remotely control a grow-room environment, such as temperature and humidity.
- State-of-the-art LED bulbs and smartphone-controlled technology to lower and raise the lighting.
- A product to control pests without chemical pesticides
- Advanced security technologies – cloud-based access control for safe environments for safeguarding dispensaries and facilities
- Artificial intelligence for optimizing environmental changes and adapting plant genetic makeup
- Laboratory analysis
Regional Companies & Organizations
- Veo Verde Technology (Salinas)
- Harborside Inc. Salinas Facility
- SC Labs (Santa Cruz)
- AEssenceGrows (Sunnyvale)
- Luminus (Sunnyvale)
- Potbotics (Palo Alto)
Richard Vaughn, County of Monterey